Thursday, February 18, 2010

Surgery Update on Our Lil Man!!

Unfortunately, Ethan is having what his doctors call a major surgery on March 1st.

After the VCUG testing yesterday, we were immediately told Ethan does indeed have severe reflux on his left side ( ureter to bladder). Since Ethan has reflux, they have to re-implant his ureter to his bladder.

The test also revealed that Ethan has to get his Diverticulumn (they call this a cap or pocket that has been forming above Ethan's bladder, common in Prune Belly Patients) removed. This pocket has to be removed because of many risky reasons ( it can not stay there ;can cause bad infections etc.)

Ethan will also have an abdiomalplasty done, as we knew before. The above information is new for us to understand what Ethan has to have "also" done during surgery.

They expect the surgery lasting 6-8 hours.

Recovery is expected to be tough for Ethan, so we need to plan on being at Riley Childrens hospital for at least a week.

I was going to write about the horrible VCUG test yesterday that was very hard on Ethan ( since I use my blog as times as my journel), but that was yesturday, and now we can only focus on today. Ethan went through allot yesterday with being very scared and having pains from peeing.Today,from his VCUG test, he is still having episodes where he hurts when he goes pee, hopefully those will start to go away. These episodes breaks mommy & daddy's heart.

We now have to prepare Ethan's body for surgery as directed by doctor with medicine and such.

It is still hard to understand that this is only Ethan's second surgery. If you would ask me, I am emotionally drained and trying with all my energy to stay positive. Nathan and I know, that his amazing urologist Dr. Kaefer will do anything and everything to make surgery safe. He is doing what is best for our Ethan.

Ethan continues to be a trooper and is happy as can be playing today. ETHAN IS ONE AMAZING LIL GUY!!! We continue to put everything in gods hands, doctors hands, and have faith in our son & GOD. We know our all mighty god is looking over Ethan.

Thank You SOOOOOOO much for the emails, texts, phone calls, prayers, and thoughts for Ethan. We cannot thank you all enough. Thank You!!!!

7 comments:

Nickie Eisele said...

I know that I can only imagine what you guys are going through. You're right...Ethan is one tough little guy. Just keep telling yourself that he will never remember this and this is going to help him live a long, full life! You will get through this! If you guys need ANYTHING please let me know. I will keep you all in my prayers! Love you all!

auntie said...

I am so proud of how my doodle was so strong yesterday! I love him sooo much and this is only going to be a week and he will be back to his happy loving life and it will all be ok..... xoxoxoxo

Ashley Harrison said...

I've told you this before, Lisa, but I'm SO PROUD OF YOU! You are an amazing MAMA, and one of the sweetest women I know. Your little Ethan has so many of your characteristics in him, and I know he has picked up on your strength!! It will be hard going through this process, and truly I can't fully understand, but what I do know is that Ethan will undoubtedly come through this difficult time with flying colors, and return to his life as the fun, carefree, angelic child that he is!! We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers, and hope that you'll call if you need anything!

LOVE YOU!!!

xoxo

Johnna said...

I'll be praying for Ethan...and YOU! I know this is just as hard on you to see him go through this. What a tough little guy he is already (and great attitude, he is smiling in every pic)! Much love, thoughts, and prayers to your little family:)

Johnna

The Anglesey Family said...

I totally understand the emotions you're going through. Don't you wish you could take his place? Although I trusted Braxton's urologist 100%....I still cried everyday before his surgery. I remember talking to another PBS mom and telling her how worried I was about the surgery and the unexpected issues which can come up while Braxton laid on the table.....Especially the risks of bleeding and anesthesia. And I'll never forget what she said to me....She said....You just need to trust God. And I the comfort I got from that comment alone helped me through the whole thing. We will be praying for your little guy!

Katie said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry that you and your little man have to go through this...it must be such a nightmare. I know he is in good hands with God and experienced doctors and he will be running around again soon after his surgery! I will definitely keep praying for you guys and PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help!!!

mamaw said...

Hi guys, I just checked your blog and am so sorry to hear about Ethan. But know that you will be in my prayers. I know it's going to be hard on you. But as you keep your faith in God and Ethan's doctors I know everything will go just fine. Give him a big kiss for me.
Love,Aunt Debbie