Wednesday, August 4, 2010

~Hoping and Waiting~


We are finally settled back at home after a long exhausting-emotional day at Riley Hospital. Usually, Nathan would write this kind of post, but my hubby is hard at work. I want to start off saying that this is really hard for me to explain what is happening with Ethan at this point. I find it hard to relate in ways that Ethan's urologist does, but I will try my hardest.
To begin, today was one of the longest awaited days for all of us. Please read here  http://ourbabybadger.blogspot.com/2010/07/unexpected.html, this information can be found just a couple of posts below as well. Today was to determine the hope of no surgery for Ethan. It's hard for us to even say the word surgery after the 10 hour one he just had in March and the couple of surgical surgeries that followed, but we have to except that Ethan may still have to have another surgery. The second Whittaker test that they performed today showed the doctors that he finally passed the "flow part"! This was great news. This gives us HOPE to hold on to for no surgery. Now from here on it's very hard for me to explain, so I will  explain what the "plan" is until we go back Tuesday.

~They kept his tube in his back to "continue to give his body a rest" , so we can do very important measuring and give important medicine. The good news is, is that we are able to put a cap on it and let him be in water for a bit. Hooray! This is where patience comes in. See all along I was convinced the tube was coming out today if he passed the test. The most IMPORTANT PLAN HERE IS TO GIVE HIS BODY REST until they figure everything out. So, a little longer with his tube until Ethan's Doctor figures out the best plan for Ethan. We are okay with this because we do not want any damage to his kidneys.
~When we go back Tuesday he will have another renal exam to determine the function of his Kidneys. They will compare his numbers from his last test ( the last test was the reason why they started to question a blockage or obstruction), to his new test results that will take place on Tuesday.
~From here we will HOPEFULLY determine if indeed Ethan needs another surgery and or another plan of action. We have to prepare ourselves for "more to come", because you really never know when dealing with health.

It is hard for us to understand this long process of "figuring things out". We thought that after today we would have had answers. Ethan's condition is very rare so his AMAZING DOCTOR is taking each and every precaution he can before making decisions. He has to learn Ethan's urinary tract because it is different. We are so thankful to be at Riley Hospital!
We thank our dear lord and all of you for love, support, and guidance.  Thank you all for the prayers they are working so far, HE DID PASS AN IMPORTANT TEST TODAY!!!
Before I go, I have to share with you all how sweet and kind Ethan is. He is such a strong happy little guy. He did great today and only cried a little. He was such a brave little boy, he sure is special. We are looking forward to Ethan's birthday party celebration next weekend, Its hard to believe he is turning two! Thank you ALL again for these special prayers it is such an amazing thing!

7 comments:

Ashley Harrison said...

I have to start by saying, Ethan is one of the most handsome little guys I've ever known, he COULD NOT BE ANY CUTER!!! That being said, he is our earth bound ANGEL! To be so strong throughout this entire ordeal is just remarkable, and I can only hope to one day be as strong as my (almost) 2 year old little buddy!
We will continue to pray that God shows the healing power of his hands through the work of Ethan's doctors. All our love today, tomorrow, and always! xoxo

Natessa Ranae said...

Hi..I worked w/ your sis at Haircuttery a while back and she has told me about Ethan's condition. I just want to let you know that I think you have a very strong and beautiful li'l boy. I think about him daily and hope that your answers get answered. I also think that you, your husband and your entire family are amazingly strong...b/c I know Shannon and have talked to her about Ethan, I have to also say "what a lucky boy to have such an amazing and loving aunt." Thanks for the update and I will keep your li'l guy in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Anonymous said...

I haven't talked to you in a long time. I am so sorry to hear about Ethan. We actually are struggling with Madelynne right now as well. She has had Psudomonus since January and they can't get rid of it. We have an appointment to come to Riley on Tuesday but, I've been pretty overwhelmed with the idea. Who do you see? How far do you live from Riley? I would really like to talk to you if you have time and wouldn't mind. Can you email me your phone number and tell me when a good time would be? thecolborns@gmail.com

The Knoll Family..Ryan, Ashley, Timothy, Lincoln said...

Lisa....We are praying for him everyday. He is a strong litte man and is lucky to have you and Nathan as his parents. We love you all.

mamaw said...

Please know that I am keeping you all in my prayers. You've got such a strong little boy!! God will take care of you all!!
Love, Aunt Debbie

The Anglesey Family said...

He looks so cute in his hospital gown!!!!!! But I know exactly the feeling you're going through right now. OK, can I buy you guys dinner tomorrow night....It seems like its going to be a long day and I do not want you to worry about cooking dinner. Email me and we'll set it up! Does E like pizza? Because I will totally order some pizza for you! He needs something to cheer him up!

L,P+B Penziol said...

Can't believe I'm just now seeing this post...
I hope you guys get some good news today :) We're looking forward to celebrating his birthday this weekend!!